And the REAL method by which knowledge grows is . . .

. . .  pissing around on the internet, obviously.

A few weeks back, I noticed that the International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts, the organization which publishes the Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, has had a discussion listserv up for a few years. I only noticed it because that's where they post their calls for reviewers. Well, apparently the IAFA listserv is a veritable treasure trove of various other things as well, including CFPs for various book projects. Seems like there's a few every month or so, and it makes me wish I knew way more topics and had way more time.

And I also learned that, if I just "like" most of the scholarly journals that have facebook pages, you get tons of stuff that way as well.  The IAFA facebook just posted a CFP for Octavia Butler, which is here. I've only read Kindred, but I'm struck by what a good opportunity things such as this are.

A lot of times, even though grad students are immersed in academic life, the whole academic territory beyond taking classes and reading books and articles is much vaster than one might think. I learned about the two book project I've submitted to via such things: one via an academic twitter account, the other via an academic blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem

3-year Writing Productivity Report (2020-2023)