Getting free academic books . . . and giving them away again

So far, the strangest thing about being a reviews editor for Fafnir is how easy it is to get free books from publishers. You simply contact the publisher's publicity person, say, "Hey, I'm so-and-so, please give me this book for free," and by gum they send you the book. In fact, with about 18 books in the stockpile, not a single publisher has yet to tell me "no," which astonishes me greatly. I suppose they benefit from extra reviews (some academic libraries won't purchase a volume unless it's been reviewed), but still, I'm pleasantly surprised by the whole process.

Of course, the sad thing about getting all these free books is that I have to give them away again -- to the reviewers, of course. Cool fact, though: just found out that the U of A offers postage for books sent for academic purposes. That's quite a pleasant surprise as well. 

All in all, I'm loving the new position. I really missed editing Scientia et Humanitas, but this is so much more awesome -- and it's an immense help with realizing all the new SFF books being published by various presses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem