Ego much?

Well, here's an object lesson in how one is never too old or too famous to be childish.

I recently had to reject a book review submission for being an incompetent hatchet job . . .  though, of course, I phrased my evaluation much more professionally than that and, technically, gave him the option of revising or bowing out of the review. (Obviously, he took the latter option.) When I asked for the return of the $30 book, which the reviewer received for free, he threw a minor hissy fit and refused. Oh, just grow up, for Chrissakes.


UPDATE: Okay, I take back some of the attitude from the above post. We had a little bit of a back-and-forth email exchange afterward, and he remained professional, though he was still clearly hopping mad about our decision. 

He also mentioned that asking for the return of a book was outside normal reviewing conventions, which might well be true, I suppose. My only concern had been that the publisher had given us that free book in good faith of having it reviewed, and I'd wanted to make good on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem