Fun Stephen R. Donaldson Quote of the Day

So, I'm re-reading a bunch of SRD interviews in prep for an encyclopedia entry I'm doing on him for The Literary Encyclopedia, and I came across the following gem. For context,  SRD is talking about the need to re-read his first 6 Covenant books before beginning The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant:
When I started back on Lord Foul's Bane, to re-read the Covenant books after twenty years, I was blown away. I thought if these books had been written by anybody else, I would call them masterpieces. These books were written by somebody whose a better writer than I am now. It was a very intimidating experience. I had expected the opposite. The truth is I can find some flaws in the first six books that I wish I could change, but that didn't have to do with how they're written. I love how they were written. I was blown away, and I thought, "I can't compete with this."
 Well, they are masterpieces! This quote tickles me because, if I ever wrote a masterpiece and re-read it again 20 years later, I imagine I'd have the same reaction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem