The Shannara Chronicles

I'd been hearing for a few years about The Shannara Chronicles, a fantasy adaptation of Terry Brooks clearly trying to take advantage of the Game of Thrones buzz. I've always been drastically curious about it. Brooks's first Shannara novel is, infamously, an almost point-by-point copy of The Lord of the Rings, and I knew that the series (which premiered on MTV) began with Brooks's equal, The Elfstones of Shannara. But the success of the adaptation has been always something that's aroused my curiosity.

Well, no more. Last night the wife and I watched the first episode, and . . . . well, egads. Bad bad bad bad bad. Imagine a show full of ridiculously beautiful teenagers who can't act, put horrible plastic fake-looking Elf ears on them, and then insert a whole bunch of genre cliches and banalities. The Shannara Chronicles ends up being the result. Skipping the rest of the series seems like a pretty safe decision, methinks. Even for a teenaged target audience with low expectations, I'm surprised it managed to last two full season.

Interestingly enough, I loved The Elfstones of Shannara when I was 12 or 13 or so. I read a ton of Terry Brooks as a young'un, way before I'd ever read LotR, and thought it was wonderful. A few years back I tried re-reating The Sword of Shannara, though, and stopped 50 pages in. It's hard to imagine how jarring the phrase "mutually assured destruction" can be in a fantasy novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem