Two Reviews Published

In less than a week, two book reviews of mine have gone live. The first is a film review for Science Fiction Film and Television on the movie Okja directed by Bong Joon-ho -- alas, it requires a subscription. It was cool writing for SFF&T since I doubt I'll ever write anything else suitable for them, and I'm happy with the review itself, but I also realized that I just don't have the disciplinary background necessary to pull off really first-rate film reviews. Because of that, writing the thing was a real bear. So, that's the last one of those!

The second review is more up my alley: Sub-creating Arda, edited by Dimitra Fimi and Thomas Honegger, a book on world-building and J. R. R. Tolkien. That's live now from the open access Journal of Tolkien Research.

Interesting, though, how different the publication schedules for different journals can be. The Okja review was written two years ago, right during that limbo summer period between defending my dissertation and getting hired by the U of A. During that time, I also did reviews on Alfred Bester and an Angela Carter biography, since my stress levels and life crunch simply weren't't conducive to more important academic writing. SFF&T, though, had a super long queue, apparently, hence the long wait before publication. In contrast, I finalize the review on Sub-creating Arda just under a week ago, almost immediately after IMC Leeds, but JTR publishes articles and reviews immediately or almost immediately upon acceptance. Gotta say, from an author's perspective, I certainly like that method more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem