Book proposal review

Well! Out of the blue, I was contacted by a publisher a few days ago with a request to review a book proposal. Obviously, for reasons of anonymity, I can't give any details, but the mere request itself floored me -- someone, somewhere, must have given them my name -- someone competent to judge such things.**

As one might imagine, though, I had absolutely no idea how to do a competent book proposal review; they're not one of those genres of writing you ever encounter as a graduate student. Luckily, googling "How to do a book proposal reviews" brings up a ton of advice articles and whatnot, including this one put out by Cambridge UP.

Anyway, finished up the review over the weekend,and the publisher seems quite happy with it. I'm also surprised at how much fun doing this review was -- focused my attention on a number of things in the field I've only paid passing attention to before.

------------------

**From what I'm gathering online, it's not unusual to give publishers the names of academics qualified to judge. This is usually either the writer of the proposal themself, or a suggest reviewer who's had to turn down the request for whatever reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem