Research Trip to the Eaton Collection of SFF -- A Mixed Success

Well, just returned home after a 10-day research trip to the Eaton Collection of Science Fiction and Fantasy at UC Riverside. All in all, results were something of a mixed bag. On one hand, I have a much better sense of the conversations that surrounded Poul Anderson's efforts in 20th-century alliterative versecraft -- formerly seen as only the province of Tolkien, Auden, Lewis, and a few other Brits. 

On the other hand, I had hoped to find vast secret treasures troves of alliterative verse lying forgotten in various poetry mags and fanzines. Alas, not so much. I did uncover a few such works that I hadn't before known about . . . maybe, maybe, enough to squeeze a second article out of my research trip. Nothing I found, however, will likely shatter the heavens in terms of breath-taking original finds. Oh well. Even no information is some information, as they say (or at least I do).

Still, the lack of success wasn't for lack of trying. Excluding dead time, overall I spent a solid 27 hours in those archives over those 10 days, and I pretty much exhausted all my leads. I still have some leads left, too, but these will require correspondence with various people and delving into non-archived book material, so we'll see how that goes.

All in all, it wasn't a wasted trip, not by any means. Not sure if it was worth the $2,000 being paid out by my postdoctoral fellowship, but at least they're going to get something for their money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem