On Stephen R. Donaldson's Website. . .

. . . and by "on" SRD's website, I mean that I personally am on his website!

So, a cool thing that happened. I know SRD, slightly, from ICFA 39 -- he goes every year, and in 2018 I foolishly gave a paper on him during the conference. He came, of course, and we chatted briefly afterward. Although Martina insists that I didn't embarrass myself, I'm less sure. It certainly felt incredibly weird to actually talk with someone whose books have been a mainstay of my life since the 7th grade,*** and I'm not good with normal chit-chat, so I exited the situation perhaps too hurriedly. Yet he, personally, was quite the gentleman -- and "gentleman" is certainly the right word here; I've rarely encountered who radiated courtesy in quite the same way. At any rate, before I chickened out, he gave me his e-mail, we exchanged a few messages, and that was that for a while.

Then, last August, my article on SRD, feminism, and sexed violence was published in Extrapolation, and I e-mailed him to let know him. He thanked me. A few days later, though, he messaged back . . . wondering if he could put my article on his website (!). Now, there's a few other scholarly works on there, by W. A. Senior and Benjamin Laskar, but I was floored. I checked with the publisher -- no copyright violation so long as certain conditions were met. So, poof: it's up there now. Check out my article on SRD's website.

----------------------------------
*** Incidentally, how many 12-year-olds, honestly, should be reading Lord Foul's Bane? (And you know the scene I'm talking about.) That was my childhood for you, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem