The Immortal Lin Carter

Mind. Blown.

So, I'm at the coffee shop, and I'm watching the person across from me reading Lin Carter's fantasy sword-and-sorcery novel, The Tower At the Edge of Time (1968) -- a horribly bad novel by a horribly bad writer. Just to give you sampling, here's one sentence that I've always remembered:
"His body was that of a gladiator, or a god, magnificent in its manhood and virile strength, like the gold statue of Lionus the Hero which stands in Argion, the Trader's World, in far Orion. It was burnt a golden bronze, seared by the fierce ...."
(And that's where the GoogleBooks snippet ends. But really, where does one go after "manhood and virile strength?" And how many pulp S&S clichés can you pack into one short paragraph? Well, let me tell you: Lin Carter's not the type to let that sort of challenge unanswered!)

I read the book sometime in 2007, I think, during my MA at Ohio State. Just a random book I read unrelated to anything else at the time. No idea how the book ended up on my bookshelf, but I read and ... well, wasn't impressed.

Anyway, this just goes to show how old books arise in the most peculiar places ....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem