Help, is there a medievalist in the room?

As one does, I found myself suddenly in desperate need of knowing when, how, and if Old English folk dropped their 'aitches. And, while researching this question, I came across this line of text from a O.E. grammar book from 1922 (specifically, E. E. Wardale's An Old English Grammar):
"Note:--It will be observed that the loss of h was later than Breaking."
Except that I know no idea what this "Breaking" -- with capital letter! -- means, nor does the one medievalist friend with whom I consulted.

And this is where my familiarity with epic fantasy is maybe causing some issues, cuz now I keep thinking, "Oh wait, does she mean when the Dark One helped cause the Breaking of the World?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem