Some Sample Student Comments

I've taught the online version of my Monsters, Ghosts, Aliens, and Others class so often now that I rarely, if ever, check my end-of-semester evaluations. Well, I randomly did this time around, and there's a few gems:
  • "Cut back on the homework! You shouldn't expect me to work 18-24 hours a week on this class."
Well, technically it's the University of Arizona that expects that ....
  • "Three due dates per week is too much" (several variations on this)
A case can be made for this, granted, but the problem is that, if I reduce the course to two due dates per week, that means each due date is 9-12 hours per work, and the procrastinators will mostly fail. So it's a pick your poison scenario, alas.
  • "How we were regarded as students seemed more personal than my previous classes. Which was a positive aspect for sure."
Well, thank you, student! I do try to be a friendly, enthusiastic sort.
  • "I truly think Dr. Wise is my favorite professor I've ever had. He's engaging and so understanding."
I swear this is a real comment -- I didn't write it myself!
  • "Overall, this is a fun course. Definitely more work than any of my other classes this semester, but still fun. I genuinely feel like I am a better writer now than I was six weeks ago."
Honestly, I do get the warm fuzzies from stuff like this. It's true: my courses are generally more work than others, although I suspect that's more because other professors don't take seriously the university guidelines on work in college courses. (Not to sound like a grumpy old man, but too often "compassionate pedagogy" is simply interpreted as removing workload, which imho isn't great for education.) However, I never utilize busy work, and I've noticed that my course does tend to appeal more to a certain type of student. Glad they got something permanently useful from the class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem