Tell me how you really feel . . .

Here's an unexpected wrinkle in the life of a reviews editor. I gave a book to a reviewer some months back, and they just messaged me hoping to beg off from finishing the review -- apparently, they thought the book so execrable that, in their view, putting their candid opinion into print wouldn't do anyone any good at all. I admit that I'm now burning with curiosity to hear the (former) reviewer's critiques. The book's outside my academic field per se but has a fascinating title, so I read it when the publisher first sent it to me. While its survey-like treatment of the subject matter was disappointingly lacking in ambition, I didn't think the volume that bad. Our (now former) reviewer, however, has quite a bit of experience, so I'm just itching here.

UPDATE: The reviewer's now going to give the review the good ole' college try, which fortunately saves me the trouble of figuring out what to do with the book, thank goodness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem