RIP, Richard C. West and Ben Bova

Seems like both Richard C. West, a respected Tolkien scholar, and Ben Bova, a well-known SF writer and two-time past president of the SFWA, both passed away on November 29th from complications due to COVID-19.

I know very little about Bova, and, honestly, not much about West. Like many other prestigious Tolkienists, I know him primarily from his scholarship. So, I can claim no friendship, certainly not like what I've been seeing in several Tolkien circles online. 

Still, let me mention two nice things about West. First, he published a conference paper of Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword sometimes in the 1960s or 1970s that I found quite helpful for my own work. Second, he actually refereed a book chapter of mine for a potential McFarland collection of essays. That fell through (or, rather, I pulled my essay after losing faith in its editor), but I still remember my pleasant surprise when I saw West's name on the peer review.***


-----------------------

*** As a sign of things to come, the editor had forgotten to take off the name when she passed the review along to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem