Fun with (mis-)-Pronunciation

So, here are the dangers of pedagogy when you're teaching a subject area outside of your field of professional study AND don't much care about proper pronunciation: 

Within the last week in ENGL 373a, my Beowulf to Milton class, my students have (kindly) corrected my pronunciations on the following:
  1. (Southwark (apparently it's "south-verk," not "south-wark" -- this one was particularly embarrassing because I had just told them that the Thames is pronounced "Tems," not "Thames"!)
  2. Boccaccio ("boc-ca-cho", not "bo-ca-chi-o")!
  3. Scheherazade ("sche-her-a-zaud," not "sche-zhur-zaw-de")!
And then! We were discussing the Hundred Years War for Chaucer, and somebody asked me if that was when Joan of Arc lived. I answered with an intelligent, "Um," because I honestly didn't know. 

I'm so lucky my students seem to like me, cuz oh man, if they didn't .....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem