Response to a "Values Statement" Draft

I don't often talk about writing pedagogy here, but given that most of my teaching is for Writing Program classes, and that my professionalization is continually ongoing, I've obviously developed many, many views on the theory and practice of writing, especially in Writing Programs.

Anyway, we've recently devised the draft for a "values statement," and it's loaded with words like compassion, autonomy, equity, inclusion, and curiosity. The whole thing made me roll my eyes, and in response to this draft, I presented my objections to the entire statement in the following manner

-----------------------
So .... I'll be honest. I absolutely hate this statement. The bolded words [compassion, autonomyequityinclusion, and curiosity] are a simple list of abstract-noun buzzwords, and although I have no real objections to any word in particular (for example, what rational person would reject autonomy?), that is largely because each buzzword is so vague that it means basically nothing. 

If I did not also believe that "values” statements are absolutely pointless documents, the kinds of things better at virtue signaling than at instigating programmatic change, then I might raise a stronger objection than I do. But of course I do believe they are pointless documents, and I don’t wish to rain on anyone's parade if this virtue signaling makes any CT faculty feel better. 

However, I cannot help but notice how completely this statement avoids saying anything substantive about writing itself. What about our commitment to genres analysis? Rhetorical situations? In producing stronger writers so that they may succeed in (a) other university classes, and (b) in the job market? The people who endorse values statements like these seem horrified by the notion that the main function of a Writing Programs is to prepare students for the job market, but that IS what the majority of our students -- including minority students -- are most interested in. They want to join the middle class if they're not there already, and insofar as writing is an essential skill for career advancement, the only real mission of a Writing Program should be to ensure that students have the competencies necessary to ensure such career advancement happens. But by talking about vague-sound progressive values rather than concrete skills, this statement seems to fundamentally misunderstand the Writing Program's core institutional mission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

Thoughts upon Reading Tolkien's New & Expanded LETTERS

Uncovering CS Lewis's First Religious Poem