I've Gone Viral (Judy-Lynn del Rey Edition)

Well well well! So, it seems that my article on Judy-Lynn del Rey for The Conversation, "The woman who revolutionized the fantasy genre is finally getting her due," has now climbed to over 150,000+ pageviews ... which means that I've now "gone viral," as the kids say.

I'd originally written the article almost spur of the moment, realizing that the PBS documentary on which I served as a research consultant, "Judy-Lynn del Rey: The Galaxy Gal," was going to premiere on October 1st. So I wanted to create some publicity for that, and just happened to know about The Conversation

I've gotten a lot of extremely positive feedback about the article, too, and it's all very bemusing, especially for someone used to spending months on research articles that might garner one or two dozen readers, tops.

Anyway, here's a few random reflections on going viral:
  • Nobody looks at the writer's byline. One friend of mine posted the article onto a listserv we're both on ... never realizing I was the author.
  • Likewise, my website hasn't seen any increased traffic from people searching my name, although, to be fair, The Conversation has its own profile for me.
  • Finally, nobody clicks the internal hyperlinks that offer substantiating evidence. One of my internal links went to this blog, but out of those 150K+ page views, fewer than 200 people looked at it.
All in all, though, this has been an ultra cool experience .... and if anybody in publishing deserves greater recognition, it's Judy-Lynn del Rey. So I'm glad to have done that.

Comments

  1. I am glad to say I will be jumping the bandwagon with the next Roving Ranger edition, having enjoyed your article thoroughly - I, for one, did not know that she was a "woman with dwarfism" which opens up another perspective I was not aware of. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Genre Fantasy Bestsellers through 1990

A Look at Charles R. Saunders and "Sword & Soul"

A Good Week For Publication